Thursday 26 August 2021

Many happy returns to Thomas Moon, Elliott Grace and Chris Barker.

Below are some more detailed match reports from the Saturday Reserves side’s games:

Saturday 14th

BG Res 3 Sth Willesborough 5

BG Saturday Res played our first game of preseason in an entertaining 3-5 defeat to Sth Willesborough.

Green took an early lead after 6 mins with Jake smashing home after some strong wing play to put Green 1-0.

Green scored again after 18 minutes when a deep corner found Chris Boxshall who smashed his header home.

Sth willesborough struck back with a free kick going under the wall and past Tyler.

Sth Willesborough levelled after Green rotating all 5 subs and testing players out.

Willesborough took the lead just before half time with a deep cross that found Sion Harper and Tyler Dixon in goal with Harper heading into his own net.

3-2 at the break to Sth Willesborough. Willesborough scored again to make it 4-2 with a quick counter attack, then made it 5-2 with further good play from the more experienced team.

Chris Boxshall pulled another one back with a header from a brilliant ball over the Willesborough back line to make it 5-3 and could have had a hat trick only to see his shot blocked on the line.

Nic Szomjas came close with a low drive only just being dealt with by the Willesborough keeper. Plenty to build on by Green.

Saturday 21st August

Smarden 5 BG Res 3

Green travelled to Premier opposition in friendly 2 with a slightly tweaked squad as they build towards a settled squad for the season.

Green were put to the sword quickly by a very powerful and decent footballing side in Smarden and found themselves 3 goals down after 20mins in a real smash and grab period for the home side.

Green’s character was pleasing to see as we pulled a goal back with Ben Codd pressing a goalkeeper clearance and scoring off the block.

This sparked the side into some really great play and we pulled a 2nd back with a corner that found Sion Harper flicking on for Isaac to score.


Just as Green we’re starting the comeback Smarden scored directly from kick off cutting through the team and hammering past Tyler to put control back with Smarden.

Green’s again showed guts and scored a 3rd goal with Alfie Turner finishing low into the bottom corner after beating a number of challenges.

Green continued to press for an equaliser only for Smarden to hit a 25 yards hot which Tyler did well to get a hand to but snuck in.

Final score 5-3.

Alex Hebbes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s